Cold weather means there are certain precautions you have to take with your car. But while you may have thought about things like checking the antifreeze or letting your vehicle warm up in the mornings, have you considered what the cold does to your windshield? As a trusted provider of windshield replacement in dallas glass and surrounding areas, BEAM Auto Glass wants to offer some advice. Here’s how you can protect your windshield in extremely cold weather:
- Never use boiling water as a defroster – Putting hot water on your windshield may sound like a good idea at the time. However, hot water can damage your auto glass if you pour it on a frozen windshield. Instead, plan ahead and practice patience by using your defroster to slowly and warm up your windshield.
- Always use ice scrapers – Invest in a good quality ice scraper this winter. These tools help you remove ice so your car will defrost faster.
- Replace old windshield wiper blades – If your wiper blades are falling apart, get new ones now. Winter weather will cause further wear and tear to old wiper blades, exposing the metal and potentially scratching the glass.
- Keep your auto glass clean – Clean your windshield on a regular basis. This will help prevent scratches caused by dirt, salt, and other debris that may be left on your windshield.
- Repair cracks ASAP – If you see a crack or a chip in your auto glass, call an auto glass service as quickly as you can. Cold temperatures cause cracks to spread rapidly, turning what could be a simple repair into a full-on replacement in a snap.
If extreme temperatures have caused damage to your windshield, call Dallas glass today.